We are thrilled to share with you information about a major work of Conservative Jewish liturgy, the new Mahzor Lev Shalem. This mahzor, published last year by the Rabbinical Assembly, is the result of over 10 years of work by a committee consisting of scholars of prayer, congregational rabbis, and cantors. It beautifully finds a balance between first-rate scholarship, spiritually meaningful poems and writings, and a full prayer service that will satisfy a wide swath of American Jewry.
In addition to the standard Ashkenazic High Holy Day prayer service with which we are all so familiar, each page of the mahzor contains commentary on the prayers, additional readings, and inspiring texts from the Jewish tradition. The English translation of the prayers is written in such a way as to be faithful to the Hebrew text and to also allow someone to actually pray from the English side as well. In addition, this mahzor features more transliteration of prayers than any previous Conservative Movement mahzor.
Rabbi Pitkowsky brought this mahzor to his previous synagogue and had wonderful success with it. Congregants loved the interactive nature of the texts and appreciated the opportunity to learn more about the prayers. In addition, the beautiful layout and design of the book itself was inspiring to people.
In order to make the transition to Mahzor Lev Shalem for the coming 5773 High Holiday season, we must rely on the generosity and participation of our members so as not to place a strain on our already tight fiscal budget. If you were to purchase the mahzor from the USCJ Book Service it would cost you $44 + shipping and handling, but buying in bulk allows us to purchase the amount needed for our three High Holiday services at a discounted price.
As part of this campaign, we offer the following donation categories:
- Lev Shalem Donor – $36 (Donate one Mahzor to the Congregation)
- 60th Anniversary Lev Shalem Donor – $60 (Donate one Mahzor to the Congregation and keep one for your home)
- T’Kiyah Donor – $200 (Donate five Mahzorim to the Congregation and keep one for your home)
- B’Sefer Chayim Donor – $325 (Donate 10 Mahzorim to the Congregation and keep one for your home)
- Avinu Malkaynu Donor- $600 (Donate 20 Mahzorim to the Congregation and keep one for your home)
- U’netane Tokef Donor – $1,000 (Donate 40 Mahzorim to the Congregation and keep one for your home)
- Kol Nidre Donor – $2,500 (Donate 100 Mahzorim to the Congregation and keep one for your home)
For your convenience, you can select your giving level and make your (secure) contribution through our website, as follows:
• For contributions under $1,000, click here:
• For contributions of $1,000 or more, click here:
Should you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the synagogue office. We appreciate your generosity and look forward to enjoying Mahzor Lev Shalem with you for many years to come.